11/13/2008

MIYUKI TSUSHIMA; Kynning/ Introduction




Hello--My name is Miyuki Tsushima, I am the artist of November, at the studio space, I was born in Japan and educated in United States, live and work in New York City since 2000. I see my painting/drawing as a mean of communication, and the tool for expression of my observation of myself, and of the world, and of human psychology and emotions, and of the relationships of all of above. Through loosely structured narrative of three characters activities-- caveperson, headless bear, and evil squirrel---, I reflect my inner struggles, and my attempt to adopt myself to the outside world, and the process of identifying and developing one's self.

I feel I am fortunate to have been able to be an eyewitness of the current fall of excessive market economy system, and the affect of it to the art world, since the questions such as 'what is the real value' and 'what is the value of individual' has been very crucial to myself in making art. I am hoping to be able to exchange and share thoughts and perspectives for what the current world conditions would suggest to us especially to our sense of value, with the artists and people in Akureyri. (Please say 'Hello' to me to have chat, if you find me on the street! )



Halló -- Ég heiti Miyuki Tsushima, ég er listamaður Gilfélagsins í nóvember, ég fæddist í Japan en er menntuð í Bandaríkjunum, hef búið og starfað í New York síðan árið 2000. Ég sé teikningar/málverk mín sem leið til tjáskipta, sem tól til að tjá athuganir mínar á sjálfri mér, heiminum, mannssálini og tilfinningum og innbyrgðis tengsla þeirra. Í gegnum lauslega byggða frásögn af þrem karakter- gjörðum -- hellisbúa, hauslausan björn og illan íkorna---, endurspegla ég innri togstreytu, tilraun minni til að aðlaga mig að umheiminum, og ferlinu að þekkja og þróa eigið sjálf.

Ég upplifi mig sem heppna að vera vitni að falli hins óhóflega markaðskerfis, og áhrifa þeirra sem það mun hafa á listheimin, því að spurningar líkt og ,,Hvað er raunverulegt gildi" og ,,Hvert er gildi einstaklingsins" hafa verið mér mikilvægar í listsköpun minni. Ég vonast til að geta tjáð hugsanir mínar og skipt á álitum og viðhorfum sem núverandi heimur okkar lætur okkur í té, sérstaklega þegar að kemur að gildum okkar, með listamönnum og fólki á Akureyri. (endilega segilð "Hæ" og spjallið við mig, ef þið sjáið mig á götunni!)